Spring 2 (The Environment)
Class 4 Newsletter
Key Vocabulary for the Half Term
- Pollution – The introduction of harmful substances or products into the environment.
- Climate Change - Warmer temperatures over time are changing weather patterns and disrupting the usual balance of nature.
- Global Warming - A gradual increase in the overall temperature of the earth's atmosphere attributed to the greenhouse effect caused by increased levels of carbon dioxide, CFCs, and other pollutants.
- Crisis – A crisis is a time of intense difficulty or danger.
- Impact – To have a strong effect on someone or something.
To link with this term's Environment theme, and our fabulous core text, The Lost Book of Adventure, the children investigated exploration in History and asked, 'Exploring the explorers: who went where?'
The children worked in 'Expert Groups' to research and prepare a presentation to the rest of the class about their specific explorer and they reached their own conclusions about how significant their individual was using the '5 Rs of Significance' to assess their impact.
Having designed and made stencils, the children used them to print their environment-inspired Lithographs and we're thrilled with the results!
To link with the theme of Environment, the children have been learning to make lithograph stencils to print environment-inspired patterns. Here are some of their fabulous stencils, made of foam and card, which they'll use to print next lesson:
Class 4 have been reasearching a range of products that are sold by fair trade farmers and how fair trade makes a difference.
Sharing our Core Texts
(2nd March 2022)
As part of our book week we had a very special assembly this Wednesday. Representatives from each class took the opportunity to share the book their class will be focussing on this half term. They went on to explain how their book fits into our whole school theme of ‘Saving our Environment’. It was a joy to see children sharing their enthusiasm of reading and looking forward to a half term packed with learning.
Our Core Texts
Class 1 - Window
Author and Illustrator: Jeannie Baker
Class 2 - Greta and the Giants
Author: Zoë Tucker Illustrator: Zoe Persico
Class 3 - Once Upon a Raindrop (The Story of Water)
Author: James Carter Illustrator: Nomoco
Class 4 - The Lost Book of Adventure
Author: Unknown Author Editor: Teddy Keen
Class 5 - Natural World
Authors: Amanda Wood & Mike Jolley Illustrator: Owen Davey
Class 6 - Greta's Story (The Schoolgirl Who Went on Strike to Save the Planet)
Author: Valentina Camerini Translation: Moreno Giovannoni Illustrator: Veronica Carratello